MARIN COUNTY'S NEWS
MONTHLY - FREE PRESS
(415)868-1600 - (415)868-0502(fax) - P.O. Box 31, Bolinas, CA, 94924
By Hary Holdorf
1. When are we gonna change the pennies? It costs more than a penny to make one: Are we that unresponsive? If you want to get rid of them altogether, fine; but until then, reduce pennies to chits -- mini-pellets, slightly larger than a BB. Sell them in small boxes of 500.
2. And when are we gonna change the nickels? They weigh too bulky, buffalo big. How about shrinking them to the size of a hearing aid battery?
3. When are we gonna stop making garbage? Such a quaint notion; this making of trash. This obviously snot the wave of the future, or else we'll have future waves of it. Sanity is recycling everything. If it can't be usefully transformed, don't use it, or make it in the first place. Hey, life is hard; bringing a bag along with you to the grocery store is really difficult, isn't it?
4. When are we gonna stop making exhaust? Using dinosaur juice putt-putting to the store is definitely a thing of the past, becoming itself dinosaurian. The roar of our internal combusters is coming to an end. The Indy 500 Speedway is our Stonehenge. Those of us who still get our kicks from burning all that gas are now totally, completely, nuts.
5. When are we gonna stack the bananas the right way? How many decades did we go laying the bananas on their backs, thereby rapidly rotting them? Observing the slow change-over to laying them on their tips has been interesting. Perhaps we learned by seeing them packed in banana boxes. I remember, in New Orleans, 50 years ago, watching a banana boat being unloaded by men carrying off the large banana bunches.
6. When are we gonna stop making waste while making kilowatts? The no-garbage, no-exhaust rule extends to the power industry. Until we clean up and recycle radioactive waste, no more nuclear energy. Warming up our rivers and oceans to cool off our nuclear reactors also hurts.
7. When are we gonna make energy-wise homes? Designing a house to face any direction, ignoring the sun, is senseless. Passive solar home-building provides shade and sanity, heat and cool.
8. When are we gonna stop poisoning ourselves? The '30s were a decade of great promise, but since then, our modern world has become truly evil. Worldwide Ciggie-smoking is our greatest, worst, most obvious Personal Destructive Aspect.
9. When are we gonna become energy independent? The rest of earth's humans will surely appreciate when we can supply our own energy, and, frankly, we can't afford it anymore.
10. When are we gonna re-invent the wheel, and replace all our vehicles with ones which are round and spin? Replace cars with large wheels that you ride inside of, rolling down grooved freeways. Round boats with spinning hulls will skip across the water like thrown stones. In the air, wind-driven helicopter/Frisbee hybrids will circle storm centers, storing rotational energy, before lifting above the atmosphere. Underwater, round, finned, wheel-subs will spin, and the underground, round hardened spinners will make for a considerably bumpier ride.
Coastal Post Home Page